What to pack?
- Nuun Tablets for hydration , in fact, start hydrating now
- Party Smart Tabs for those of you trying to endurance drink for the entire BlackHat and Defcon week
- Comfortable shoes, but please no Crocs. Don’t kid yourself, It doesn’t matter how comfortable they are, you look like a fool
- Cash to do a user definable amount of gambling
- 100 questions to ask and a curious mind because there is a lot to learn
What not to pack?
- If you decide to bring a computer, know that this is like shoving flank steak down your shorts and walking into a hungry lions cage; it will get hacked. Consider alternate options for your note taking; tablets, smartphones, hell, legal pads still work.
- If you must get on the wireless, be as paranoid as possible and consider 3g or 4g cards to stay off the events broadcast domains
- They will be handing out conference bags, so minimize your everyday pack and just use the one they give you (if you have a full conference pass)
- Pack light. If you’re wondering if you will use it, don’t bring it.
The taxi lines are a little congested [cough, cough] so if you can, consider alternate transportation. If not, just make sure you have enough time to wait in a long queue. It’s hot in the taxi queue, so keep hydrating.
Eating & Drinking Tips?
- Local eateries fill up quick during the designated breaks, so if you want to get ahead of the lines, don’t hit those places during those windows.
- Since you will probably be drinking with buddies you haven’t seen all year but chat with every day on twitter, and since you will be at an open bar because some vendor is paying the tab, I recommend a high protein dinner with lots of saturated fats. This sets up what’s called a ‘drinking dam’ that slows down the alcohol entering your small intestine, giving your liver a little breathing room. Why do you think wine is served with cheese or pub food is so fatty? Either have a plan or pay the price.
- Every 3rd drink, chug 8 oz. of water; repeat as required.
- Did I mention hydration? Drink another glass of water right now!
Hangin’ with your peeps
- Make sure you have all your buddies’ mobile numbers because this is the time to catch up face to face.
- People tend to congregate at the bars in Caesars, so here’s a list of the bars and some tags you can use when you SMS with your buds.
Cleopatra Barge Cleopatra
Galleria Bar Galleria
Spanish Steps Spanish
Numb Bar Numb
Seahorse Lounge Seahorse
There are a ton of other hangouts but, trust me, no matter where you go when you come back everyone will be still congregated at the bars in Caesars talking shop and catching up.
Where Da Party At?
After spending all day at the conference, we go from code to cocktails in typical Blackhat tradition. Vendors show their appreciation of Blackhat by throwing parties, lots of them.
Courtesy of the crew at liquidmatrix, here’s a list of parties for your drinking enjoyment.
I suggest you book mark this post on your phone as I am sure more will be updated soon.
Are you drinking water yet?
- Bail Money
- Write your room number somewhere on your body. While you’re at it, also include your blood type in case things go really wrong
- Limit your Tweets after your 5th drink (YMMV)
- If you hear a tiger in the bathroom, do not enter. If you do, tweet the picts.
Yay for Blackhat 2012 and make sure to stop by and say ‘hi’. I’ll be the one with the bald head and Hawaiian tribal ink. Its Vegas yo, have fun!